Monday, October 08, 2007

Fishing


One of my favorite things to do with Emma and Addie is to go fishing. I love watching how excited they get to catch a fish. They love to bring them in and touch the fish. I mean they are kind-of scared to touch them, but they are so full of joy to bring them on the shore. They laugh smile and giggle and they look at the fish. As soon we put it back in the water my girls are ready to throw out their lines and catch another fish.

Sometimes it takes time, sometimes Emma and I will wait for a long time to get a bit, and for Emma and myself this is a hard thing to do. We don't like to wait for the fish we both like it when we catch fish quickly. It is all about the immediate gratification. We want to catch as many fish as we possibly can.

I was thinking about fishing with my girls the other day. Jesus told his disciples that instead of fishing for fish, he was going to make them fishers of men. Many times I think that all I have to do is throw out a line and a fish is going to take the bait. But that isn't always the case. Most of the time when we share our lives with others in hopes that they will trust Jesus as their Lord and Savior, it is a long and involved process. Even in the story of the calling of the disciples Jesus tells the disciples to throw their nets on the other side of the boat and when they do that they catch a net load of fish. Catching fish is the job of Jesus our role is to go out and fish, to be obedient and to be patient when sharing our lives as well as the gospel with others.

I love how Jesus continues to teach me in the every day experiences. I love teaching Emma and Addie how to fish for fish, andI hope and pray that they will one day be a fishers of men.

No comments: