Monday, October 22, 2007

Convicted

I read this quote by Eugene Peterson this morning and was convicted. I get so caught up in what is success, that I easily forget what God has called me too.

‘American pastors are abandoning their posts, their calling. They have gone whoring after other gods. What they do with their time under the guise of pastoral ministry hasn’t the remotest connection with what the church’s pastors have done for most of 20 centuries’
‘We quit being diagnosticians of the soul & instead develop programs – educational, political, economic – all of which can be done without relationships of love’

I had to ask myself when was the last time I have really cared for the souls of others, instead of trying to create something that will bring them back? It is a tough question with difficult answers. I want students to be excited about what is going on, but at what cost. I desire to see students and myself spiritually deep. How long will it take me to stop pleasing others and please God? What is it going to take to really push students, myself and others to examine our souls.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I undertand that depth you speak of and seek it myself. You're right...at what cost do we do what we do? And what will it take for us to stop pleasing others and please God? You hit the nail on the head...that's been my struggle in the past few weeks too! Thanks for sharing that.